Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Abide In ME

"Abide in Me, and I in you. 
As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, 
so neither can you unless you abide in Me. 
I am the vine, you are the branches; 
he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, 
for apart from Me you can do nothing."
John 15:4-5


This is a verse that I need to read/meditate on daily! I know it, probably memorized it long ago in Sunday school, but haven't thought about it in a long time... There have been periods of my life where these verses described how I felt about my relationship with God to a T. {not even sure what "to a T" means?} But lately, I've kinda slipped out of the good habits I'd been living in a while ago. Yes, I still pray, read my Bible occasionally, but gosh! Really, how am I so lame that I have let go of what brings the most life to my day! The Word of God is living. And though God is still living through me, and I am clinging to Him, I feel like I'm not being watered. At least as well as I should be.

I work in the Junior High group at my church and the girls in my small group and I were talking about the things we want to do better this year. A lot of them wanted to read their Bibles more, and I could relate. We shared different ways that we could fit it into our schedule and how it's silly when we say we have no time. And yet we spend hours watching movies, reading other books and talking with friends. God is the MOST IMPORTANT friend! 

I want to go back to those seasons where I'd study the Word. Not simply read it, but actually learn about it. I have a book shelf full of commentaries and Biblical history books... and I used to get so excited when I'd learn the depths of His Truth. It's frustrating that days like that get buried under this worlds schedule. If my aim is to become a better wife, then this is where it all needs to start! It's time for my roots to grow deeper in Him. There is no better way. Personal development begins here!

No comments: