Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Adventure

The Hobbit, & The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde are two of my favorite books! They are stories filled with mystery and excitement. The pages were overflowing with imagination let loose, and I lost myself within the worlds of the seemingly impossible. Somewhere inside these characters overwhelming conquest of good vs evil, I found the desire to make the most of each moment in my life. To fight for beauty and truth and to escape all forms of darkness and whatever tragedy that would befall me. 


I've always been a sucker for adventures! Growing up around the world was such an amazing blessing... But also, growing up with the parents that I had, and The God that constantly revealed Himself to me, gave me such a huge perspective on the incredible miracles that were hiding amongst our day to day lives. 

I remember being in the second grade {ps. I have a freakishly good memory}, playing in a little forested area next to the park by our house, and making forts within the trees and bushes. We {my siblings and I} would set up camp, bring in our little snacks for the day and pretend for hours upon hours {at least it felt like hours} that we were explorers or the great settlers of the northwest. 
At the time we were living in Belgium and in a world where we were foreigners, it was easy to make believe that we lived in a land untouched by civilization {though obviously untrue}.
We battled plagues {nettles} and faced the terrible dangers of any creature who might invade our territory. Andrew {my brother} had a slingshot, and we depended on his skills to keep us safe.
lol... 

Today my battles look a little different than a squirrel running across the branches of my tree fort.
Instead, I face evils that are all to prevalent... and when these beasts raise their evil heads, I quickly draw my bow and arrow and shoot them down without hesitation. Okay, maybe sometimes I'm a little slow to shoot. But still, I am on the hunt. These forces will not cripple me.
Insecurities. Fear. Sadness. Anger. Loneliness. Pride. Anxiety.
I will conquer and defeat! 
"Where do you make your home oh silly sadness... why have you shown your face within this day?" 
There is something broken deep down inside, and it must be fixed!
There is a Truth far greater than any seemingly grand obstacle before you, and with this Truth, you are able to stand against the tide and watch it roll back into the darkness of the sea from which it came. 

This perspective, of seeing each day, each hour as an adventure, has saved me time and time again. If I suspect that there will be trials in life, I'm not so shocked when they land in my path. Instead, I've done my best to gather whatever tools I need for the occasion, and I go to work, cutting down the obstruction, or recognizing that I need to find a new way. 

Q: How do you view life? Do you just go through the motions without much thought to it, or do you have a different way of looking at it?

Welp, I'm off to bed. Time to snuggle up with the Hubs and fight for some zzzzz's. "Oh precious sleep, Please let me know you well tonight!" 
Silly bladder... bathroom visits at least 3 times a night are normal these days! 
xoxo

No comments: