Pages

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Barefoot in the Kitchen


This is what the majority of my Saturday looked like.
Crock-Pot
Oven
Stove 
All being used at once. 
Chopping veggies and cooking meat.
Prepping meals for the week to come.
Emerson & Hunter kept me company, sitting in the entry way to the kitchen, talking to me and lending me a hand when I needed someone to hold something ;)
This is what I made/pre-cooked/separated into daily portions today:
CousCous
Broccoli
*Salad {Cucumber, Bell Pepper, Tomato, Beats, Calamata Olives}
Sweet Apple Chicken Sausages
Hard Boiled Eggs
Sugar Snap Peas
*Baked Garbonzo Beans
*Crock-Pot Chicken 
Watermelon

Most of these things I can pick up and eat on their own without adding anything to them.
Also ready to eat this week are apples, oranges, blueberries and strawberries.
Frozen fruit for smoothies and a couple Lara Bars for an occasional 'treat'. 
Tomatoes, Carrots and Cauliflower are waiting in my refrigerator too.
I need to buy avocados!

I've been realizing more and more how well I work when given boundaries or 'assignments' and tasks.
So if I set out and designate what food I'm 'aloud' to eat each day, that's what I'll eat. Which keeps me eating far healthier than when I just grab something to eat without much awareness to it's content.
And of course! As a busy Mother, having my food all prepped and ready to go saves me loads of time and energy!

Shawn has been away this weekend for work...
He left Thursday and will return tomorrow {Sunday} late night.
As strange as it is not having him around in the evenings or at night sleeping at my side, these last couple days have been rich with God time. 
All these extra hours spent with Him, has been super beneficial for my soul! Like, really really really beneficial!!
- I think I'll blog about what's new in my heart in another post.

Anyway, I'm excited for Shawn to come home, but thankful that the Lord has met me in these day of being on my own.

*Salad- I did this mix last week as well. I can add leafy greens to it, or chicken, or an egg, or none of the above and it's good. Instead of using dressing {have never liked it, even before 'watching what I eat'}, I like adding Calamata Olives as it gives just a little extra flavor without too many calories. I don't even put very many in the mix with all the veggies.
Too, I fried up a little bit of CousCous, maybe 1/4 cup and sprinkled it on top one day and that was also good.

*Baked Garbonzo Beans- I stumbled upon The Boho Glow on instagram the other day and saw this recipe that they'd posted. 
If you are looking for something crunchy to munch on you should try these. They kind of remind me of healthy corn nuts... at first I thought they were somewhat odd honestly, but then I kept on wanting to eat them. I'll definitely throw these in the oven again and make more when I'm done with this little batch.
15oz can of Garbonzo Beans {drained}
1/4 tsp Olive Oil
1/4 tsp Cumin
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Oregano
-Stir all the ingredients together and then place on a baking sheet
{spraying olive oil on the sheet before hand}
Oven at 350* Bake for 50 minutes or until crunchy.
And voila, you have yourself a healthy snack.

*Crock-Pot Chicken- Easiest no brain chicken ever!
All I do is throw two frozen breasts in the crockpot, add a cup of chicken broth or water, and cook on low for 8-10 hours. You can also throw in different seasonings if you'd like {before pouring the liquid on top, sprinkle your seasonings}. Occasionally I'll add a packet of Italian Dressing mix and that adds enough flavor for me when I put it on my 'dressing-less' salads. 
The chicken always turns out perfectly moist and falls apart easily.
-------------------------------
It's been a good Saturday. 
Lots of music was played: Jason Mraz, Coldplay, Nick Drake, Maroon 5, Shawn McDonald...
There was a massive thunder and lightning storm right over our apartment! Gosh is was SOOO loud! There was little rain, but lightning bolts and booming thunder danced brilliantly overhead!

Another day has come and gone. 
In a minute, after I tap my finger on the Publish button, I'll move it then across the computer screen to the Netflix button and there I'll press play on the Friday Night Lights screen. 
Sigh... Being away from the Hubs is good I think... Cause the moment I see him next, I plan on wrapping my arms around him and holding on tight! I need to work on showing him more of my love and appreciation for him.
-before he left, I told him that he can show his appreciation for me when he comes home with diamonds or something! lol. Leaving me with 5 month old twins and all! ;) I kid. We've been doing wonderfully. 
But I will definitely have a 'Me Date' on Tuesday night! That's for sure! Monday night Shawn and I will spend together since tomorrow night we wont get to. But Tuesday, I'm taking a break as soon as he comes home from work! 

xoxo

2 comments:

Mrs. J*F*G said...

It's amazing how much time is taken up by husbands. Not that they aren't worth it, or that it's bad, but that was something I definitely noticed when J* and I were separated for a few months. I spent much more time with God - praying, dreaming, hoping. It sure does make you appreciate them in different ways when they are away!

Love Maroon 5 (favorite!) and wish I could have experienced that storm! It doesn't storm here like that and I miss it! Your crock pot chicken reminded me of something as well: sometimes I will throw a whole chicken in the crock pot (you have to skin it though...) and just rub the meat with some spices. By the time it's done it falls off the bone and is so juicy. It leaves us with enough meat for either a whole week of just chicken (which can get boring) or you can get two weeks worth of meat out of it by throwing half in the freezer! Super cheap too.

And one more thing ( I know, this is long) - your roasted chickpeas, do you have a problem with them popping in the oven and/or getting soggy after a day? I have tried this a couple times and they make a mess in my oven and they get soggy fast. I usually use my own chickpeas though and not the canned (maybe that's my problem??)

Have fun on your "me date"! You will have earned it, that's for sure!

Danya said...

I too am jealous of your thunder storm - they were a daily thing during my FL summers, not so much here in CA.

So happy to hear God is doing new things in your heart. I can't wait to read about them! Also glad to hear you and hubby are doing well. :) :) Love you girl! -d